What are some extremely simple ways you can be more aware of your health and improve it?
- Replace salt with other tasty seasonings – we get enough salt in our diet from foods we eat that we don’t need to add more just to make things taste good. Instead, seasonings like basil, ginger, and cayenne pepper are great substitutes that can add something to your meal.
- Get regular exercise – even though it might be absolutely freezing outside, exercise is still a must. It’s important to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day, ideally an hour of light to moderate exercise. Walking or light aerobics are a great solution and there are tons of online videos for free aerobic programs that require no prior training or equipment.
- Monitor your blood pressure – If you have a primary care provider, they will do this for you during your regular checkups. Otherwise, you can also get screenings at health fairs and several health clinics, like those at Walmart.
- Find a primary care provider – getting regular checkups will ensure issues like heart disease or high blood pressure are found and taken care of. If you already have high blood pressure, they can help you manage it.
- Educate yourself – the most important first step is to start learning about heart health. You will be able to manage it better if you already know how it affects you and what your body needs in terms of care.